Tuesday, April 08, 2008

 

Mind-boggling

Well, now my brain hurts. While working at the library today, I was approached by a boy, I estimate him to have been 14 or 15 years old, who asked me to find/recommend for him some books about war. Fair enough. I was picking out Johnny Tremain and Across Five Aprils when he asked me if we had any fictional books about war--preferably with pictures. Fair enough.
Then I casually asked him why he asked for fiction books (because we don't have all that many on war). His answer stopped me dead in my tracks: he does not, nor has he ever, read any fiction books.
Well that was one heck of a flabbergaster, let me tell you, that really knocked me for a loop. (Darn it, my brain still hurts! I can't help it, and I'm not exaggerating, either.) Even after convincing him--partly via my gesticulating eyeballs--to at least try and read Harry Potter, my mind point-blank refuses to wrap itself around the concept.
So much for my day. How about yours?

TODAY'S BOOK: "Jelly Belly", by Robert Kimmel Smith ((c) 1981)

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blog Directory - Blogged
A big thank you to Sea-of-Green!
(12/18/08)